What is coconut oil?
Coconut oil, also known as copra oil, is a product made from coconuts harvested from coconut palm. It is extracted from the kernels or meat of mature coconuts to be used as a moisturizer, conditioner and softener for skin and hair. Benefits of coconut oil for hair has been known for hundreds of years.
Coconut oil has multiple benefits when used in healthcare; it is rich in vitamins, carbohydrates and minerals which are good for the human body. However, coconut oil is not limited to hair and skin; it is used in the preparation of cosmetic soaps and creams, and it is also used for cooking. Because of its remarkable benefits, coconut oil has been used for hair for thousands of years.
Read on and find out what is coconut oil and discover how to treat your hair with coconut oil!
Benefits of coconut oil for hair
Coconut oil is often used as a hair treatment and it is the perfect moisturizer for the scalp. There are many benefits of coconut oil for hair and here are the most common:
TREATMENT FOR DRY AND DAMAGED HAIR: For people with dry hair, coconut oil is a perfect treatment to get shiny and smooth hair without split ends. The use of coconut oil on hair helps to reduce protein loss in both damaged as well as undamaged hair so if you don’t want to cut your split ends, coconut oil helps to make your hair look more healthy.
GET RID OF DANDRUFF: Coconut oil heals and protects dry and damaged scalp with its antibacterial effects. Use coconut oil regularly to get rid of dandruff forever. Massage coconut oil to your scalp, let it affect through the night and wash it off in the morning.
REFRESHING FEELING FOR THE SCALP: If you suffer from greasy hair due to scalp sweating, using coconut oil helps to make your scalp feel refreshed.
KEEPS YOUR HAIR MOISTURIZED: Coconut oil is the perfect oil to preserve moisture in your hair. It keeps hair moist and soft and prevents breakage on your hair.
USE COCONUT OIL FOR STYLING: Coconut oil is liquid on warm temperatures and it condenses when cooled. That’s why it can be used as styling gel or cream. Apply warm, liquid oil to your hair and wait until it condenses and makes your hair more manageable.
HAIR LOSS: Coconut oil can prevent hair loss for certain people.
COCONUT OIL AS HAIR CONDITIONER: Coconut oil is better and safer choice as conditioner than any other in the market. Get the best benefits of coconut oil for hair by using it as a hair mask before shower, or blend few drops of coconut oil to your regular conditioner and use the mixture as normal conditioner.
We did a huge research to find out what coconut oil product suits the best for hair. Based on my experience MY RECOMMENDATION of the best coconut oil for hair is Garden of Life 100 % Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut oil for hair growth
Coconut oil improves scalp and hair cuticle health and protects damaged hair. Therefore it is the perfect oil for helping you to grow your hair long and healthy.
- Coconut oil has plenty of fatty acids that binds protein in hair. It prevents hair from breaking from roots to strands.
- Moisture of the hair is the most important way to protect your hair. Coconut oil moisturizes hair effectively and protects them from heat and other environmental impurities.
- By massaging scalp with coconut oil, your blood circulation in the scalp improves and boosts oxygen and nutrient delivery to your hair.
- Coconut oil has been found to consist of many natural antioxidants and nutrients which improve your hair’s softness and luster. With vitamin E, vitamin K and iron, coconut oil makes your hair dandruff free while boosting hair growth.
- If you have a problem with dandruff and lice, coconut oil is the perfect solution. The scalp and hair is a great environment for bacteria. Coconut oil is highly antibacterial and anti-fungal. Using coconut oil for hair and scalp you can get rid of dandruff and lice which both limit hair growth.
The best effects can be achieved with virgin coconut oil. It’s rich in antioxidants, proteins and fatty acids. Using virgin coconut oil for hair you get the best benefits of coconut oil. Click here for the best coconut oil products!
Now when you know the wonderful benefits of coconut oil for hair, it’s time to learn how to apply coconut oil to hair and how to remove coconut oil from hair.
How to apply coconut oil to hair?
Now that we have introduced you to this amazing oil, it’s time to explain how to make coconut oil hair mask for your hair and how to apply coconut oil to hair.
Coconut oil hair mask – Overnight treatment
Applying coconut oil to hair is simple. Here are the step by step instructions for how to apply coconut oil to hair and how to use coconut oil hair mask; coconut oil in hair overnight:
- Your coconut oil is most likely in solid form, so you need to melt it until it’s totally clear and liquid. You can do it in the microwave or melt it under hot water.
- Apply coconut oil all over your dry or wet hair by using your hands. Rub oil between your hands and apply it to your hair. You can take small sections of hair so your all hair get the treatment. Don’t put too much oil or it’s hard to wash off!
- Massage your scalp with coconut oil for a few minutes, so your scalp gets the treatment also.
- Brush your hair gently with a soft hairbrush.
- When the oil is all over your hair and scalp, put your hair up to a bun, pony tail or braid.
- Put your hair under a shower cap and put on a warm hat to keep your hair warm. Heat boosts treatment and oil soaks in to hair better. (You can do the treatment also without shower cap or hat if you prefer. The effect is stronger when using a shower cap.)
- The best effect can be achieved by keeping coconut oil in hair overnight. If you don’t have time for that, 30-60 minutes will do the trick as well!
How to remove coconut oil from hair?
Sometimes hair looks greasy and oily after the treatment because it’s tricky to remove all of the coconut oil off from your hair. Fortunately we have a solution for the problem, so you don’t have to suffer greasy hair ever again! Here are the instructions of how to remove coconut oil from hair:
- After you have kept coconut oil in hair overnight, go to the shower and use warm water only.
- Wash your hair with non-silicone shampoo. Massage your scalp carefully to get all of the oil off. You can rub some shampoo to your strands as well. Wash the shampoo off with warm water.
- Repeat part 2. and continue how to remove coconut oil from hair
- Rinse most of the water off from your hair and apply non-silicone conditioner to your hair. Don’t put it on your scalp, it flattens your hair! Massage conditioner carefully all over your hair and let it affect for a few minutes.
- Wash the conditioner off with cool water.
- Repeat part 4. and 5.!
- Before you leave the shower you should rinse your hair with cold water to make your hair shiny!
Now you know the benefits of coconut oil for hair and how to make coconut oil hair mask, how to apply coconut oil to hair and how to remove coconut oil from hair. Now it’s time to know which one of the coconut oil products is the most effective. I have gathered you the best coconut oil products with reviews. Click here to find out what coconut oil suits for you the best!